Wesson was diagnosed with high risk infantile ALL on November 14th, 2011 at 10 weeks old. He underwent two rounds of chemotherapy at Sanford Children's Hospital in SD when we were referred to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, TN as his cancer was unresponsive to treatment. He underwent two more rounds of chemotherapy, experimental Natural Killer cell treatment and two high risk stem cell transplants from mom and dad.
Wesson passed away on September 26th, 2012.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Today is Valentine's day and what more bitter way to end it as we recieved Wesson's bone marrow biopsy results this evening. Wesson's oncologist called to inform us that his MRD (minimal residual disease) -- the evidence of presence of residual leukemia cells within the bone marrow, came back at 30% after Wesson's 2nd round (induction intensification) of chemotherapy. The MRD results had shown his bone marrow contained 13% blasts after his 1st round (induction)....so as I may not have to point out, this is not good.
Wesson's oncologist has informed us today that she has spoken with her colleagues at the University of Minnesota, who recommend that since we are not reaching point of remission (which would be .05 percent blasts) -- to undergo another round of chemotherapy switched up, in order to achieve remission, with possible bone marrow transplant in the future. She had mentioned that we would most likely start performing HLA (or human leukocyte antigen) testing on Wesson and his big brother Keegan as well -- as Keegan would be the most likely donor match for our Wesson. HLA typing is used to check compatibility with patients and donors for bone marrow transplants.
Logan and I have come to the decision that this is not the plan of care in which we wish to proceed with for our baby boy. It is too hard to sit and watch him undergo one more round of chemotherapy, with the possibility that his blasts are increasing by the moment...and that if he does reach remission -- the chances of relapse are 80%.
So we have decided to speak with Wesson's oncologist tomorrow morning, and request a referral to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital -- in hopes for a more hopeful treatment plan. We know there is extensive research being conducted involving stem cell transplant and also killer cells that have shown to be successful in helping infants with high risk ALL reach remission, with lower chances of toxicity.
All in all we are scared to death, and as parents we feel we need to do what we feel is right for our baby boy -- and we are willing to go as far as it takes to help cure him. We have entered survival mode, and we will not let Wesson fall to this aggressive and 'smart' cancer. We are smarter and more aggressive and we will take it down.